Thursday, February 5, 2009

I HEAR VOICES

Most of my day is spent with sixteen preschoolers. They are your quintessential young children: energetic, clingy, quirky, hysterical, and constantly talking. I've grown accustomed to hearing variations of my name called over and over again throughout the day and probably don't go 30 seconds (except for when they're napping) without at least one of them having something to say to me. I'm so used to hearing their little voices persistently for hours on end that it's gotten to the point that I can't seem to escape it even when I'm at home now. Whether I'm cooking up dinner, working on schoolwork, or even trying to fall asleep, I constantly am hearing their voices in my mind. Sometimes I hear a specific thing that one of them said that day, other times it's someone's trademark sayings (i.e. "I sorry," "That funny," "I tell you something?" [which, by the way, is never really a question -- she's going to tell you regardless], etc.), and at other times it's simply their distinct voice itself that I hear (at which point I try and decipher who's voice was just in my head). Needless to say, I really hope that this is just a passing craze and that it's not really leading to a crazy state of hearing voices all the time. . .although, I do have to admit, if you're going to hear voices, these are pretty cute ones to hear.

No comments: