Wednesday, November 18, 2009

HOME

They say that home is where the heart is. I agree, but I also posit that where the heart is is home. I've been lucky enough to call a number of different residences and towns 'home' over the years, whether for only a short time or for the bulk of my life, they all have been worthy of being called a home of mine. They've each provided me with shelter, refuge, memories, opportunities for growth, new experiences, familiarity, friendship, and most importantly, love. As such, a little piece of my heart has been left with all of them. And while they may no longer be the place that I am living at at the moment, they will always be home to me. (Lest they forget it, sometimes it's necessary to go to drastic measures, i.e. carving your initials into the windowsill of your childhood bedroom. . .when you're 20 years old, to leave your mark.)


Being just shy of a quarter-century old, I am aware that I'm probably nowhere near done accruing new places for my heart to fall in love with and to claim as a home. As I look back on the changes that have already happened in my life, and ponder those yet to come, I can't help but wonder, where will my heart and my home wind up being next? I suppose I'll find out soon enough.


1 comment:

Heather said...

I think I recognize that windowsill :)