Friday, October 24, 2008

MY POLITICAL TWO CENTS WORTH

Today I had the chance to attend a debate between some notable Democrats and Republicans. Alan Colmes, Donna Brazile, Geraldine Ferraro, Rick Santorum, Steve Forbes, and Mike Huckabee were posed with the question: Which party is best suited to lead America? It was very enlightening and interesting to witness firsthand the lively discussion that took place among some of our country's powerful leaders and personalities. Key issues were discussed in detail, qualifications of the presidential/vice presidential candidates were assessed, and goals and aspirations for our country were brought forth. Listening to all that was said, gathering information from both sides, I found myself coming to a revelation of my own. While I may align myself with one particular party more often than the other, the truth is, I am not defined by my political party. I am, however, defined by my beliefs, ideals, and what I stand for and strive for. And in all honesty, sometimes those very things put me at odds with the political party that I generally associate with. Parts of me are Republican, parts of me are Democrat, but all of me is American. I love our country, what our foundation was built upon, what we have fought for and overcome, what we stand for, and what we hope yet to attain. I approach this upcoming election as an American, an American with a hope for our country. Yes, my personal convictions have caused me to take issue with one presidential candidate and to choose to vote for the other, but regardless of which candidate, which political party, comes into office, we are still one nation, and we're all in this together. Whether the person who I believe is the better fit for president takes office or not, I still intend to pray for them and respect their position as president, and it is my hope that I will not be alone in doing so. Differences of opinions, of ideals, of beliefs, will always exist, but hopefully the respect of such differences, and especially of the people who hold them, will be even greater than the differences themselves and we can rise above them and stand together. We may see ourselves as Democrats, or Republicans, or Independents, or something else entirely, but whatever political affiliation we affix to ourselves, at the heart of it, we're all Americans, in one nation, under God; and, in my humble opinion, that acknowledgement is what the future of this nation, and the people in it, depends on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you word these thoughts! You should contact your local paper and see if you could be a guest columnist! Love, Ma