Wednesday, November 19, 2008

AH, DOMESTICITY

I've had some blue cheese hanging out in my fridge for awhile now and it's been beckoning for me to do something with it, so tonight I gave in. Despite the fact that I think that I should take home-ec all over again, I conjured up something that ended up being even more than edible, it was delicious. If you happen to have these ingredients lying around and want to make something tasty I suggest trying this:

Stuffed Blue Cheese Pork Chops

1 Pork Chop (de-boned and fat-trimmed)

Crumbled Blue Cheese

Bacon Bits (or real bacon if, unlike me, you have some)

Sliced Almonds

Garlic Powder

Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees. Mix together the blue cheese, bacon bits, and sliced almonds (I just eye-balled the amounts in conjunction with the size of my pork chop). Butterfly the pork chop and place the blue cheese and other ingredient mixture on one side, place the other side of the pork chop on top, use toothpicks if necessary to hold it together. Season with garlic powder (again, I just eye-balled it here). Place pork in greased, shallow baking dish and cook for 20 minutes, or longer depending on size of the pork.

And voila!

To tie my meal together I whipped up some herb and butter rice as well and added a glass of red wine (it's good for the heart after all). Here's my finished product before it was consumed:

(And yes, I realize that the pork is not only funny looking but rather small, don't let that deceive you though.)

It may not have been a meal of grandeur but it was a step up from the pasta fallback I've been accustomed to making, I'm baby-stepping my way in getting the knack for being domestic. Now I need to figure out how to not spend an hour and a half on a meal that should take a third of that time. . .and that is consumed in about 20 minutes. Hmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Looks like a great meal. (except where are the greens?!) You can cook for me anytime. Mutti

JoLee said...

Megan, that sounds delightful! Jeff and I will have to try that recipe sometime.