Tuesday, November 25, 2008

SEASON'S GREETINGS

The holidays are upon us, and that can mean any number of things. For some it's a time of reflection, for others -- anticipation. Emotions can range from childlike excitement to adult-like stress. Regardless of what thoughts, feelings, and/or emotions this time of year stirs up, the truth of the matter is that it is a time of the year unlike any other. With Thanksgiving fast approaching, as in arriving in T-minus two days, I'm feeling the advancement of the holiday season . . .and am intending to fully embrace each day of the season (which I suppose I should do on a regular basis anyway, eh, I'll work on that). I'll admit, I did fall prey to listening to Christmas music before its acceptable start date of after Thanksgiving, and in doing so I've really been taken with a certain song that actually seems rather pertinent to the holiday we'll be celebrating on Thursday. Aside from the general musical allure of Josh Groban's 'Thankful,' these specific lyrics have struck a chord with me:

Some days we forget
To look around us
Some days we can't see
The joy that surrounds us
So caught up inside ourselves
We take when we should give.

So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be.
And on this day we hope for
What we still can't see.
It's up to us to be the change
And even though we all can still do more
There's so much to be thankful for.

What gets me the most is the somewhat paradoxical concept of doing more to make a difference and yet also being so thankful for what already is. It's convicting on both levels, at least for me. Being increasingly aware of the state of the world, I want to continue to do what I can to alleviate others' burdens and, as cliche as it may be, to make the world a better place; whether doing something as grandiose as traveling to a third world country and serving there, or doing something as 'little' as holding the door open for a stranger. And in the spirit of thanksgiving, on Thanksgiving itself , and all the other days throughout the year, I want to remember all the things that I have to be thankful for, including (but not limited to):

- a God who loves me
- a wonderful, supportive, fun, loving, etc. family
- fabulous friends who're there for me in both the good and bad
- the opportunities and experiences I've been blessed with
- my health
- the abilities, capabilities, and talents I've been given
- freedom
- and so much more, for as Josh's song states, "there's so much to be thankful for."

So I hope that this holiday season we're all able to acknowledge what we have to be thankful for, and that we might even create moments in the weeks to come (and hopefully even beyond the holidays) for others and ourselves to be thankful. Whatever the holidays mean for you, I hope that somewhere in the mix you are able to feel love and connectedness, whether from people close to you or even complete strangers. Happy holidays everyone!

No comments: