Sunday, March 29, 2009

CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE

As a youngster, almost every trip to the library culminated with the checking out of at least one 'choose your own adventure' book. After all, who doesn't get a kick out of being able to have a hand in the storyline, in essence, choosing how a story that you're reading is going to turn out? I remember vacillating over what each option would mean for the story, and the character that I had grown to love: what would happen if Mary Sue decided to step inside the time machine? and what would happen if she chose to go into the other, mysterious room instead? Her fate was in my hands. At present, I feel like my own life story is a 'choose your own adventure'. I know that whatever comes next will in fact be an adventure, it's the choosing between the options and not knowing what those options will lead to in the story of my life that has me stuck vacillating all over again. What would happen if I stayed here? What would life look like if I took that job? Or moved to that place? My fate is in my hands. And as great as it is to basically have the world as my oyster, it makes it all the more difficult to choose between the adventures because they all look enticing on a certain level, and at the same time I'm also uncertain of how I want the story to continue. Instead, I'm stuck on the page that says, "If Megan chooses A, turn to page 24; if she chooses B, turn to page 13". Maybe if I put the book down for a bit and come back to it the decision will come more naturally, I suppose we'll see.

2 comments:

JoLee said...

I think Megan should choose to come and visit her brother and siter-in-law in Southern California!

Anonymous said...

I think Megan should defintely choose the advewnture to come back to the Northwest within at least a couple hours drive of those who love her!!! This is her Mutti speaking. ;)