Sunday, March 1, 2009

SOGGY DAY ADVENTURE NUMERO DOS

Apparently I like to go on little jaunts around this area on days when the weather is less than desirable. But being free of schoolwork this weekend, after holing up all of last weekend to slave away on finals, I wasn't going to let a few (or a lot of) raindrops hold me down. So, braving the downpour I headed north to Yorktown, the site of the last major land battle of the American Revolutionary War. I've somewhat always known it, but yesterday I came to terms with the truth that I really love history, and even more importantly, visiting historical sites. Yep, I'm a nerd. Seriously though, it was really neat (and sort of eerie) to be walking around amidst the same exact bunkers that ultimately played a part in the creation of our country. I even got the chance to stand inside the same tent that George Washington used as his headquarters during the siege. It was pretty sweet. There were also many other remnants from that time period around the area including this quaint little church and this dugout place that I'm not entirely sure what it was (but thought looked cool). I love it. Being that the pass that I had purchased gave me access to both Yorktown and Jamestown I decided to continue my expedition by driving the 23 mile route to Jamestown via the Colonial Parkway, which, by the way, was a fabulous scenic drive and highly recommended for a good session of blasting music, singing your heart out, and taking it all in. However, if you do decide to try and replicate that experience, my only suggestion would be that you don't follow in suit by getting to your destination after its operating hours. Oops.

entrance = denied

same story here

It looks like Jamestown, and Williamsburg, will have to be an adventure for some other day. . .maybe I'll aim for a better weather day the next time around, spice it up a bit. Until next time, Vince and your damp, history-loving nerd say adios.

3 comments:

JoLee said...

Megs you are your mother's daughter! Just love you and your little adventures. Hope you are doing fabulous and can't wait to catch up!

starsapart said...

I went to Colonial Williamsburg back in the day....good times : )

Jane said...

I just went to all 3 a few weeks ago! If I had known you were interested ... I would have dragged you with me!