Friday, May 7, 2010

25 AT 25


Tomorrow I join the ranks of those living at or beyond the quarter of a century mark. Since I tend to typically be the youngest amongst my friends, by the time my birthday rolls around I usually am more than ready to catch up to the pack. This time around though, the implications of being a 25 year old have got me calming that anticipation down a bit, relishing my last few hours of being in my 'early twenties.' I've heard various accounts from friends and family members who've said that their 25th birthday was different than the ones that have preceded it, a number of people I know have cried on that day, and some have said that it just, downright, feels weird. I can understand that. In efforts to avoid a similar fate however, I've decided that I'm going to turn things up a notch and give myself reason to believe that turning 25 is going to be a magnificent thing.
-
Ladies and gentlemen, I present you with the list of the 25 things that I'm going to make sure I WILL be doing at the ripe 'ol age of 25:
-
1. Visit at least 2 of the remaining 23 states that I have yet to see
2. Overcome my fear of needles and give blood
3. Catch up on the seasons of The Office that I missed, watching the series from the very beginning
4. Learn to use a barbecue
5. Lose at least 30 lbs. (and maintain a healthy weight/diet)
6. Have something published
7. Join a committee/volunteer/get more involved in a cause that I believe in
8. Run in a road race
9. Become pretty near fluent in a foreign language
10. Cook a meal with a brand new recipe once a month
11. Go to a noteworthy Oktoberfest
12. Take my camera with me everywhere and document life
13. Memorize a Bible verse/passage each week
14. Read at least 5 'classics' -- including sticking with and finishing The Brothers Karamazov
15. Spend a day as a tourist in the area that I live
16. Learn Excel
17. Attend a professional football or soccer game
18. Refurbish/remodel something from a thrift store
19. Relearn how to sew and sew something of note
20. Go on a big-scale hike
21. Grow (and keep alive) flowers and/or a plant
22. Learn to snowboard
23. Attend a big-name concert
24. Blog at least once a week
25. Go for a moonlight stroll/activity with every full moon
-
If you're inclined to join me (either physically or in spirit) on any of these endeavors, please do! And I will definitely be keeping you all up to speed with my progress on this list; check back often to see for yourselves, to hold me accountable, or just to say hi. Here's to the next 365 days, it's going to be a stupendous year!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I would like to do some of those with you, please! And I am especially interested in what foreign language you will become "near" fluent in :)

starsapart said...

i'll read a classic with you! also, i cannot bbq. or cook. hmmmm...