Thursday, November 8, 2007

I'M NOT A GIRL. . .NOT YET A WOMAN. . .

Seeing as my life is more often sporadic than stationary, I decided that it might be useful to have a solid place to relay bits of my life, thoughts, etc., for those who're interested/curious and just for me to keep tabs on myself as well. We'll see what comes of this. Welcome to my life!


On a side note, while I was writing the subtitle of this blogspot I found myself stuck on whether to refer to myself as a girl or as a woman. Inevitably, as I sat there pondering my title, Britney Spears' "I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman" popped into my head. Now, I'm not exactly what you would call an avid Britney Spears listener, but I do have to say that that song in itself isn't all that bad, and in all reality, it poses some valid points on a quandary in life. I can relate to it in that I feel as though I, myself, am somewhere in the in-between right now. I would like to believe that I am rather grown-up and mature, after all, I am a college graduate and I have had a "grown-up" job (even if it was only for a minute amount of time), however, I still feel too young to be referred to as a woman, too naive to be viewed as a full-blown adult. On the other hand, in referring to myself as a girl, I feel as though I am all of 12 years old, which I clearly am not. So, if I'm not either of these, what am I then? A 'tweener' (not to be confused with the 'tweens' of about ages 9-11)? A '20-something female'? A 'girman' (yes, that is my cleverly crafted mixture of 'girl' and 'woman')? And when exactly does one transition from being a girl to being a woman, and having that title actually feel as though it fits accurately? I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has felt this way, and even if no one else admits to it, at least I know that I'll always have Britney in my camp. I suppose that it's just one of life's little mysteries that will only be solved in time. In the mean time, I'll just reap the benefits of having one foot in each world, all the while thinking along the lines of:
"I'm not a girl,
Not yet a woman.
All I need is time,
A moment that is mine,
While I'm in between."

No comments: